Tuesday, July 23, 2013


It is always a challenge to create authentic looking costume of any period without it looking obviously like "costumes". What people wear on stage should bear at least a passing resemblance to what they were on the street...if the street is in Windsor, England in 1601.

I saved myself some time on this show by incorporating costume pieces I borrowed from TEXAS WESLEYAN COLLEGE where I had lately been the staff designer. I plotted the show and did these sketches in Fort Worth before I actually went to Odessa and took the pieces with me. Falstaff and the Ford & Page couple's outfits were created from scratch in the Odessa shop. The remainder of the cast was "costumed" from the stock available there and the pieces I brought with me. The Director said at the time that I was the only designer ever to bring costumes with me!

The show looked and felt authentic and rich. I have lost the photographs I took of these lovely costumes, however so it will remain just a memory.

The last of the three shows at the GLOBE was THE LIFE OF CHRIST, written by the Director's wife no less...it was dreadful and every person who could stand in Odessa was in it! Thankfully all the costumes were already in stock or in the storage of the various churches in town, so all I had to do was coordinate everything, no design or building work involved. As soon as it opened, I left Odessa and went directly to Wichita, Kansas where the TROTTER BROTHERS job waited.

I used a lot of what I had learned working at Casa Manana and at TWC and Fort Worth Community Theatre in my work for the GLOBE and I learned a lot while there which I took on with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment