Sunday, July 21, 2013

GLOBE OF THE GREAT SOUTHWEST 1976

As the Casa Manana Playhouse season of 1976 came to an end in May, I was at a crossroads in my life. As sometimes happens, things present themselves to those in need such as I...

Patty Runge, wife of Dennis and all around Incredible Designer ( they both are and we got to work together again years later) had a problem. Through TCU she had accepted a job as Costume Designer for the summer repertory season at the GLOBE OF THE GREAT SOUTHWEST in Odessa, Texas. She and Dennis later got another offer where they could be together, and so she recommended me to be her replacement in Odessa.

I had never been to Odessa and had no idea what the GLOBE OF THE GREAT SOUTHWEST was, but it was a PAID professional 8 week job and I wasn't about to let any of that stand in my way.

I was to design and costume 2 Shakespeare plays: A MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM  and  THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR, and act as costumer for the third, a local pagent called THE LIFE OF CHRIST. I was to be paid the princely sum of $200.00 a week ( A FORTUNE to me back then) and housing would be provided free of charge. I was 20 and ready to make my move. It was a no-brainer...

So I packed up my little brown Ford pinto and made the 5 hour drive to Odessa, Texas....

These photos show the GLOBE theatre as I first saw it. It was the brainchild of an extrordinary woman named Margorie Morris who taught english literature at Odessa College. She somehow raised the funds to get this fairly accurate modern rendition of the original 1600's Globe Theatre built on the south edge of the College campus. From 1969 to this very day it hosts a summer repertory season  of the Bard's plays. My time there was Season # 8...

No comments:

Post a Comment