Monday, July 22, 2013


A MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM was well paced, well acted and if I do say so beautifully staged. A big hit to start off the season. The actors would rotate it with the other two plays for the rest of the summer in repertory. I could'nt bask in the glory for too long as I had to start work on the next play THE MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR which would be costumed in accurate Elizabethan Clothing!

A funny story: When I arrived I asked how I would draw funds for my costume budget. I was given an address in Odessa and a date and time. I was to take three or four of the company of actors with me and go there. It turned out to be a mansion and our hostess was one of the oil rich wives who formed the auxillery of the GLOBE. We had "tea" with her and her lady friends and were asked about our schooling and any previous theatre work we had done...all very proper.

As we were leaving this lovely lady pulled me aside and wrote out a personal check, made out to me for $3000! This was my costume budget for the season and I was to contact her again if I needed anything more! Needless to say I was flabbergasted...but it was later explained to me ( as I signed the check over to the Theatre fund of course) that this was how things were done in Odessa.

Many a time came in the years after that when I wished I had a rich patron to whom I could go for my budgets!

No comments:

Post a Comment