Thursday, July 11, 2013

After digesting Johnny's initial letter to me regarding the idea of producing KING KONG as a stage show I set about reading what I could about the film and trying to find a copy to watch and study.

Home VCRs were just beginning to become available in 1981 and viewable product for them was practically nonexistant. I had a friend in Wichita who owned a TV shop and he "loaned" me a Sony Betamax and helped me find a source  for ordering a Beta cassette of KING KONG. I think I paid $50.00 for it back then!

So I watched and watched and watched the film and came up with this breakdown of the speaking parts and the Monsters that would need to be visualized ( I can see that I've penciled in on the second page which would need to be giant puppets and which costumed actors depending on interaction with the party of sailors or directly with Grover playing the "Soul" of Kong.

It seems like such a simple list now, but this show would be far more difficult to mount than anything we had done before and we still hadn't figured out the question of scale and how it would have to be shifted in the audiences minds so they could accept all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment