Thursday, October 3, 2013

Sports Mascots



It wasn't long before the area high schools started asking for mascot costumes. The first couldn't negotiate our price for a full outfit, so we settled on just the head and a vest which a male cheerleader would wear over his uniform. I re-purposed the GIANT head patterns from JACK & THE BEANSTALK here. I was very happy with the headdress which consisted of individually wired foam "feathers" covered with fur. It really was a very lively mascot head which you see me modeling in the workshop. I decided that the lower 'lip" in the original design wasn't needed once I got the head assembled, so I dropped it. I also incorporated a more "Cartoon Character" eye design for this head.

Of course this type of ethnic mascot is completely unacceptable in todays politically correct world, so we wouldn't get a commision like this now and probably wouldn't accept it at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment