Tuesday, January 28, 2014

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE - Groundplan

As I've said, the tradition of the HALLOWEEN SHOW at HIP POCKET THEATRE was the result of the productions I mounted there in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Beginning with THE WAR OF THE WORLDS and continuing through with KING KONG in 1981.

  ( My adaptation of  FRANKENSTEIN  planned for 1982 was aborted due to the rampant drug addiction of certain of the collaborators...it was the 80's after all...and some other bad things happened that summer... over which we had no control.....so all has been forgiven for that sad incident. I would still like to produce that show, though...)

In 1983 the HPT traveled to Edinborough, Scotland to appear in the famous Theatre Fringe Festival there (the only American Company invited to attend, sort of Off, Off Broadway, but still a very prestigious thing for our non-profit outfit).

And in the Summer of 1984 I made the decision to return to Fort Worth full time and was swept up in the HIP POCKET THEATRE experience which culminated in our sold-out production of
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, an adaptation of the film from 1948, in Sept.-Oct; with the final performance held on Oct. 31st. The entire Cast and the Audience in Full Costume!

Above is my plan for the performance area of the 1985 HALLOWEEN SHOW of
 WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE.

I have always been a big promoter of  Full Audience Involvement in Theatre...somthing about that "4th Wall" crap we all learned in school...the separation between the Actors and the Audience. I just never bought into that, and it certainly didn't suit the style of the HPT, so I planned this show to fully utilize my vision of what a performance could be...the story involves Everyone on Earth, so why shouldn't our Audience be fully involved in the plot and resolution of this story?

No comments:

Post a Comment