Thursday, August 29, 2013

SUGAR 3


TEXAS WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY was no bush-league college in the Dramatics Department in the 1970's. Although TCU and SMU often claimed the glory, TWC was known as THE place to go for a Broadway Caliber education and that is why I was able to get a scholarship to attend after graduation from R. L. Paschal High School and my early work at Casa Manana in Fort Worth.

Here are some publicity photos taken prior to the production itself. I don't claim to have designed all these clothes ( oftentimes my job was as costumer...finding and fitting the right existing garments) and not just a designer. TWC had an extensive attic full of past wardrobe which I could pull from, and I also borrowed from Casa and the Forth Worth Community Theatre, where I had connections. Some numbers, like the Title Tune required special costuming. In the "Sugar" number a line of 15 chorus boys in identical yachting outfits to the leading man were required. I ended up scouring the town for 16 pairs of white slacks, blue blazers, and white caps...along with the appropriate patches as insignia and in the required sizes, to outfit the men's chorus for that one number. It was worth it though as they casually stepped onstage in support of the leading leady as she sang the title tune
( see pic 3).
The actors seen here fron the top photo left are: Mike Wood, Ray Pierce & Aubrey Allred. Holly Wahlstrom, Lana Hoover & David Floyd. Ray Pierce & Holly Wahlstrom. Lyle Knause & Aubrey Allred.

2 comments:

  1. Hello from Holly Wahlstrom. I was tickled pink to see these posts. I had just put in a web search while listening to the audio of the 1975 Sugar production. Aubrey Allred recently visited TWC (now TWU) and obtained a copy and kindly shared it with me. Thank you for your post. It is all very interesting! You have been very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Holly Wahlstrom, James. I was delighted to have your page come up via a web search while I was listening to the audio recording of the last night of the TWC 75 production of Sugar.

    ReplyDelete