Tuesday, September 17, 2013

LUCY & DESI Show Groundplan

I knew some things about the  I LOVE LUCY SHOW,  and God knows I grew up on the re-runs as a kid, but to pull this off I knew I'd have to do a lot of research and quick!

I found  THE I LOVE LUCY BOOK by BART ANDREWS  to be the most helpful. It had true Behind-The-Scenes stories, a complete Episode Guide and  most importantly some really good Photos of the actual studio and sets during production. This gave me a base for the play and the design.

That 1987 Season  UPSTAIRS AT THE WHITE ELEPHANT was our 4th and in an effort to fit as many audience members into that 50 X 50 foot room as we could I had created removable risers that could be fitted into the space. This allowed seating for 101, rather snugly...and I had determined to build a proper stage platform at a level that would allow for better sight lines.

This groundplan for  LUCY & DESI vs THE KILLER SHREWS shows that platform ( or set of platforms, as it too was removable). The whole playing area was 20 feet wide and 20 feet deep to the corner in back. Pretty tight as a whole, but for this show I had to construct a viable replica of the set of  I LOVE LUCY  as well, with working doors and backing space for entrances and exits. Even then the Kitchen, where the most important part of the show is set, could only be suggested at stage left by a door frame, and sink cabinet with window above.

No comments:

Post a Comment