Monday, September 2, 2013

JACK & THE BEANSTALK Trotter Brothers 1977

I've posted before about my years with the TROTTER BROTHERS PRODUCTIONS and the Holiday and Amusement park shows I designed and mounted for them in the mid 1970's.

They also toured full stage productions utilizing 36" tall hand and rod puppets. They were doing  a musical version of HANSEL & GRETEL designed by RAY MOORE of Atlanta when I joined the company and they wanted a second show to tour seasonally. After several pitches were rejected, my idea for JACK & THE BEANSTALK was accepted, mainly because I had figured out a way to incorporate a human-sized GIANT into the show and because I promised to bring the production in well under the cost of HANSEL & GRETEL.

 I delivered on that promise by writing the show myself,  book, music and lyrics...and designing modular rod puppets and scenery which could be shipped in  a 15 foot U Haul truck, instead of the 30 foot rig needed for HANSEL & GRETEL and SANTA'S MAGIC CIRCUS. Just in case you're interested, the difference in cost per production was about $50K for HANSEL & GRETEL to around  $10K for JACK. Even in 1977 that was a big number to recoup.

Above is a publicity picture of BOB and DAVE TROTTER with the GIANT character costume and some of the puppets from JACK & THE BEANSTALK, and a pic of me and the JACK puppet taken for a newspaper article profiling the making of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment