Monday, March 17, 2014

THE NIGHT THOREAU SPENT IN JAIL - Wichita Community Theatre 1981


Following the recent production of Wichita Community Theatre's  INHERIT THE WIND ( which I believe was Very Imaginatively staged) I was reminded of the two Lawrence & Lee plays I staged during my time as Designer for that company.

In 1981 we produced  THE NIGHT THOREAU SPENT IN JAIL on the Main Stage at Century II. I always thought it would have been better presented in the more intimate setting at the Workshop, but I designed the best production I could in the larger venue. This is also, to my surprise, the most completely documented production of mine that I have discovered so far.

I have a special love for this play, as I had my first adult role in it in 1973 at the Casa Manana Playhouse in Fort Worth, Texas. I played Thoreau's brother in an extended production which we presented once a week to bused in Junior High and High School audiences for several months.

Over the next few posts I will share photos and renderings of the WCT production which I Designed, Directed by the legendary Mary Jane Teall and Brilliantly Lighted  by Michael Hostetler, and which haven't been seen publically in over 30 years.

( Stan Graham  as  Thoreau  with the Company)

No comments:

Post a Comment