Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Work Begins for 2015

Today in my workshop:

Constructed a Mask Maquette from plaster of paris.

I Utilized an ordinary plastic "blank face" mask ( from PartyCity by the way...). I Built up the forehead with thin cardboard and duck tape ( also covering the holes in the mask ) for added strength. Then rubbed petroleum jelly thinly inside the "mold" all around. I placed the finished mold upside down in a cardboard box, just bigger than the edges of the mold and filled with styrofoam packing peanuts for support. And finally I filled the mold with  the plaster mixture ( 4 cups cool water with 8 cups plaster powder added slowly and mixed until thick and soupy ). After about 4 hours, I very gently tipped the box and mold upside down on an old terry towel and wiggled the plaster out of the mold. Placed face up on two dowels so air can circulate, this will need to fully dry for another 24 to 48 hours.

A bit of carving and sanding will yield a perfect base on which to use plasticine clay to sculpt  character masks. These can then be rendered in several layers of paper mache for a perfect fit on the actors who will wear them.

Thus ends today's lesson.

Why am I doing this you ask?     Stay tuned......

PS: "Maquette" is French for a working model. Good thing I used plaster of "Paris", huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment