Sunday, November 16, 2014

LILI on the Hip Pocket Theatre stage

 Before I began writing the script for my adaption of "LILI" for the stage, I built this scaled model of the theatre and peopled it with 3" tall cutouts of characters from the film. By moving these around I was able to make sure that my ideas for staging the show would work in the space. As I worked, my concept for the movable set pieces took shape, as well as the overall look of the show. Everything will start with a bare stage...
 The "Magic Act" at the center of the first part of the play will be performed as Black Theatre with the props appearing, moving and disappearing with the aid of black hooded puppeteers against a black curtain. The banners and balloons will be brought out and placed onstage by the actors as they "set up" the Carnival, just as they would in real life. Small tables and folding wooden chairs will be moved in and out to represent audience seating as well as physical aspects of the two Wagons where the Magician and his assistant and the Puppeteers and Lili live.
The puppet booth will likewise be brought in and assembled in front of the audience by the actors. The puppets will be operated by the same black hooded puppeteers against the darkness behind this central platform. This will allow the puppets to make swift entrances and exits by being simply moved backward out of the light with the puppeteer's body masking them as they turn around. The actor playing the puppeteer PAUL will stand to the side behind the curtains and voice all the characters. Not having him actually work the puppets will free him to phsically play his onstage role without having to change costume and makeup quickly.

These photos only document my thoughts on the staging and do not represent my final designs for the set. I have already made changes and upgraded my ideas for the final design which I will share later.

First, Those puppets...

No comments:

Post a Comment